Monday, July 11, 2011

Thoughts on Driving deaths

I've heard of far too many deaths from speeding. It's not only young people who die this way, but an early road death seems more tragic.
A life not yet lived, cut off on a lonely road...

Thinking about it can't change a thing, but bringing it to people's attention may have some affect, I don't know. I only know that every young person who dies on the road is a tragedy.


Who pays the bill?



A life is lost

is wisdom gained?

Those children speed past still.

My thoughts slow down

my hands stretch out,

they’re out of reach until

they realise we had a point

us bleating older ones -

speed certainly can kill

with death a sorry end.

A life has ended now,

to stop it takes the will

to force a change -

the mindset’s wrong

and those deaths all leave a bill

a charge society pays

medical, laws, funerals
tragically run of the mill.

2 comments:

john l malone said...

yes another thought provoking poem; I thought 'The Bill' with its multiple associations might be a stronger title

Carolyn Cordon said...

Hmm, you might be onto something there John.