Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Writing an Ode

Well, a truer title would be 'Not Writing an Ode'. A friend of mine told me on Facebook I should write an ode about my new walker, which I had been writing great things about.

I value this friend's opinion on poetic things, so I went away to pen this ode to my walker. I started out by brainstorming and writing down words, phrases and so on, then began penning my ode. I soon realised I needed to read up about odes, famous ones, different types etc.

I got back to 'Ode to my Walker' wrote a few lines then stopped. I just didn't feel connected enough to the idea I think. But having said that, I've just had the thought that I should revisit what I've written and perhaps take my walker out for another walk to get some more ideas to write about.

Hmm, this blog post was going to be all about failing in my writing and ode mission. Poetry is funny like that - you start out somewhere and your head takes you to places you may not have known existed.

Goodbye - I have an ode to write!

1 comment:

Carolyn Cordon said...

I shared the ode (partly written) with my Thursday night writing group. They all said it was worth working on further! They went on to say others with walkers would love to read it, so I should send it off somewhere.
I'll work on it and share it at the Gawler Poetry Reading next sunday.