Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Another Day, Another Poem

It's the eleventh of January as I write this post, and I've posted eleven new poems to the website, one a day.

I've written more poems than that though, inspiration seems to be reaching out and hitting me far more than usual. I think this is because I'm open to it, and actively looking for more things to write about. What happened this afternoon is a case in  point.


You find inspiration for poetry in the darnedest places! I had a doctor appointment today to excise a lump on my forearm, which may or may not have been pre-cancerous, in the opinion of my team of medical advisors.

So as my doctor was preparing the site we chatted about various things, as a way to keep me calm and untroubled about the huge needle he was painfully jabbing my arm with, perhaps. One of the various things we chatted about was poetry.

I told him the two limericks I've written (they're the only poems of my own I've managed to learn off by heart.) Doc then insisted I write a limerick for my medical procedure, mentioning him and Margaret, who was helping.

Being the person I am, I of course wrote the poem when I returned home, lump removed and dressing in place.

I've mentioned this on my Facebook page, which is where most of my life matters are mentioned. I didn't indicate that my medical team which sound super high tech, is actually my GP, a friend who's a nurse, and my uncle who used to be a GP up until about thirty years ago. They all know their stuff though, and I willingly decided to go ahead with the procedure.

If I hadn't done that, then I would never have written this limerick, because it wouldn't have happened. So, thanks doc, here it is (he wants me to give the clinic a copy so they can put it up on the wall) - Fame!


 MALLALA MEDICAL CLINIC

Patient had a lump on her arm
It was deemed it might cause her harm.
Helped by the worker,
who wasn’t a shirker,
Doc excised it as he turned on the charm!


4 comments:

john malone said...

a tight little story told in 5 lines;with a happy outcome

Carolyn Cordon said...

Thanks for your comment John. I took the limerick to the Mallala Medical Clinic the day after, and both Margaret and the doctor loved it. Margaret put my poem up on their notice board for all to read!

I'm going to be famous, as the patients read my witty words.

Anonymous said...

VERY TIGHT. How long did it take you to get it so small and perfect?
Jen

HOW do I subscribe to this blog?

Carolyn Cordon said...

Hi Jen,

when I knew I was going to write this poem in this style, I knew I only had a limited number of lines and rhymes.

When the poem was first thought of, I knew it had to be a limerick, and I know what a limerick is allowed to/must have.

A limerick is a five lined poem, with the first, second and last line rhyming. The third and fourth line rhyme also.

There first mentioned lines must have three stresses, while the last mentioned lines must have only two stresses.

Knowing the poetic form meant I knew what I needed for the poem, so writing it seemed easy.