Tuesday, October 23, 2012

What to Write a Poem About?

Some people have trouble finding things to write poetry about. I don't. I may have trouble giving poetry enough time to do it properly, but I have plenty of ideas about what to write a new poem about.

When I do give myself enough time, I just have to think about what I have happening in my life at the time, and I know what I need to write about. I have several things going on, poetically, at the moment. I have my MS Verse Memoir, my Vegetable Victory Community Foodie Project, and then there's my dogs, Nature, family, politics and more - all things I could write poems about.

So for me, the Ideas aren't a problem. One thing I recommend though, for those who don't have ideas popping into their heads often enough, is a journal. A journal isn't the same as a diary - you don't have to write down lots of stuff every day. With a journal, you just write whatever comes into your head, or whatever you want to think about more deeply.

I rarely use my lovely journal, but whenever I go back and flick through it, I'm amazed at the places my pen takes me. So if you'd love to be astounded by your own mind, get yourself a journal and get writing. In your journal there are no rules. You don't have to use punctuation or grammar, it doesn't matter if your spelling is wrong. With a journal, you just open up your head and let the words pour out!

Do you have a journal? I'd love to hear about it, leave a comment here!

No comments: