Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sneak Preview of My Memoir in Verse

This project is moving along nicely, and I feel it's time to share a little bit of it. This memoir is about my new life, living with MS (Multiple Sclerosis).

My thoughts are about the importance of getting this written, and written well. I've got a deadline of November/December for the first draft, with a release date of around the middle of 2013. I'm feeling confident it will work out that way!


Mick the Sick, Jane the Cane and Me


I was at home one day, sitting around and wondering
about this whole MS thing, coming up with phrases
beginning with the letters MS, until I came up
with ones I liked. I thought about the ones
I didn’t like first though, More Strife, Mega Stressful
and so on. It didn’t feel like a good way to spend my time though,
focussing on the new things that were bad in my life.
So I thought about the good things, and came up with this poem,
full of the good things in my new life.
This poem took a little bit of re–thinking to produce, 
but I'm happy enough with how it shows my thoughts.

My Special friend –  Multiple Sclerosis
I have a new friend
who is going to be with me
for the rest of my life.
My Special friend
can get me things, good things
like special car parking
really close to the shops
and maybe even money
from the government.
But like any friendship,
there’s a downside.

My Special friend slows
me down, hanging off
my arm and my leg
so I can’t walk fast and I can’t
carry heavy things. My Special
friend makes life harder
so I get too tired, too often.
But My Special friend is teaching
me things, things about myself,
about life, my friends, my health,
about not taking things for granted.

The good, the bad, the indifferent –
life hands it all to you,
it's up to each person to deal
with what they're given.
My Special friend will show me
a brand new life.

******************************************
In case you haven’t already realised it, I’m an optimist,
not a pessimist. If it turns out I was wrong,
and something terrible does happen, well, so be it,
at least I was enjoying myself in the meantime!

Learning
People say I’m looking well,
I smile and say thanks
I could talk about the shakes
the weakness and muscles
that won’t work like they should

I guess looking well, though
being positive looking
to the future, with hope
all help to walk, it’s enough
or should be anyway.

If I looked like I feel some days
if I looked that sick
and frail, no– one
not even me, would want
to be my friend.

Now I’m wondering
should I be angry or sad
or happy that no– one really
wants to know, what they can’t see,
the things I live with?
********************


I'm not doing this alone though. I have a wonderful mentor helping me, Ray Tyndale, and money from the Richard Llewellyn Arts and Disability Trust, to help finance the writing  of it. Having Ray as a mentor is working well for me, and keeping focussed on keeping on writing. Thanks Ray!


So there you go, the first fragment of my memoir in verse out there for the public to read! Let me know what you think about what I've written, and about the project I've taken on. I feel like I've begun a noble task.



No comments: